Hackney Winter Night Shelter opens its doors for 25th year
- Credit: Archant
The Hackney Winter Night Shelter will open its doors tonight to provide food and beds to homeless people for the 25th year in a row.
Open for five months each year, November to March, the shelter provides dinner, bedding and breakfast for dozens in Hackney who would otherwise be on the streets.
It would stay open for longer but as it relies solely on donations and the work of volunteers it cannot afford to do so.
With just two members of full-time staff, HWNS relies on volunteers. Seven hundred people offer their assistance each winter but there’s always a need for further help.
Before Christmas, the shelter runs seven days a week but changes venue every night. After Christmas, two shelters run each night so more people can be taken in.
You may also want to watch:
To donate, visit hwns.org.uk.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers