Hackney woman shortlisted for national charity award
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney resident has been shortlisted for a national charity award after raising nearly £30,000 for charity.
Alicia Weston has been nominated as the Most Creative Fundraiser of the Year in the JustGiving Awards 2013 for her fundraising efforts over the past two and a half years.
The food fanatic, of Parkholme Road, Dalston has raised £27,500 for medical care charity Médecins Sans Frontières by hosting the Parkholme Supper Club at her home.
Every other week she opens her door to 14 hungry strangers who all pay £45 to eat, with £35 of each persons’ fee going directly to charity and the remaining £10 paying for the evening’s delicious array of food from around the world.
Ms Weston said: “It’s a real honour to be shortlisted. My JustGiving page has been invaluable in both taking and recording the donations from the 900-odd members of the public that have eaten at the supper club. I hope that being selected for the shortlist will draw attention to the valued work that Médecins Sans Frontières do and inspire others to think about alternative ways raising money for charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Winners from 11 different categories will be announced at the awards ceremony which will take place at the Troxy in Commercial Road, Stepney on April 11.
Anne-Marie Huby, managing director at JustGiving, said: “Each year we are overwhelmed by the inspiring fundraising stories we hear, and the truly incredible lengths to which people will go for the causes they care about.”
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
The JustGiving Awards, in association with WorldPay, recognise the outstanding individuals, teams and charities who helped raise nearly £200 million for good causes over the last year.