Hackney woman shortlisted for national charity award
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney resident has been shortlisted for a national charity award after raising nearly £30,000 for charity.
Alicia Weston has been nominated as the Most Creative Fundraiser of the Year in the JustGiving Awards 2013 for her fundraising efforts over the past two and a half years.
The food fanatic, of Parkholme Road, Dalston has raised £27,500 for medical care charity Médecins Sans Frontières by hosting the Parkholme Supper Club at her home.
Every other week she opens her door to 14 hungry strangers who all pay £45 to eat, with £35 of each persons’ fee going directly to charity and the remaining £10 paying for the evening’s delicious array of food from around the world.
Ms Weston said: “It’s a real honour to be shortlisted. My JustGiving page has been invaluable in both taking and recording the donations from the 900-odd members of the public that have eaten at the supper club. I hope that being selected for the shortlist will draw attention to the valued work that Médecins Sans Frontières do and inspire others to think about alternative ways raising money for charity.”
Winners from 11 different categories will be announced at the awards ceremony which will take place at the Troxy in Commercial Road, Stepney on April 11.
Anne-Marie Huby, managing director at JustGiving, said: “Each year we are overwhelmed by the inspiring fundraising stories we hear, and the truly incredible lengths to which people will go for the causes they care about.”
- 1 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
- 4 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 5 From college student to stage performer: How All Points East Festival is helping young artists
- 6 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 7 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 8 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 9 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 10 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
The JustGiving Awards, in association with WorldPay, recognise the outstanding individuals, teams and charities who helped raise nearly £200 million for good causes over the last year.