Hackney woman shortlisted for national charity award
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney resident has been shortlisted for a national charity award after raising nearly £30,000 for charity.
Alicia Weston has been nominated as the Most Creative Fundraiser of the Year in the JustGiving Awards 2013 for her fundraising efforts over the past two and a half years.
The food fanatic, of Parkholme Road, Dalston has raised £27,500 for medical care charity Médecins Sans Frontières by hosting the Parkholme Supper Club at her home.
Every other week she opens her door to 14 hungry strangers who all pay £45 to eat, with £35 of each persons’ fee going directly to charity and the remaining £10 paying for the evening’s delicious array of food from around the world.
Ms Weston said: “It’s a real honour to be shortlisted. My JustGiving page has been invaluable in both taking and recording the donations from the 900-odd members of the public that have eaten at the supper club. I hope that being selected for the shortlist will draw attention to the valued work that Médecins Sans Frontières do and inspire others to think about alternative ways raising money for charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Winners from 11 different categories will be announced at the awards ceremony which will take place at the Troxy in Commercial Road, Stepney on April 11.
Anne-Marie Huby, managing director at JustGiving, said: “Each year we are overwhelmed by the inspiring fundraising stories we hear, and the truly incredible lengths to which people will go for the causes they care about.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 8 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
The JustGiving Awards, in association with WorldPay, recognise the outstanding individuals, teams and charities who helped raise nearly £200 million for good causes over the last year.