Haggerston brain injury charity given £15,000 to expand popular supper club project
- Credit: Archant
Christmas has come early for a Haggerston brain injury charity after it was given £15,000 to continue a popular kitchen project.
The grant will allow Headway East London to expand its lunch club, which sees service users preparing dishes for 40 people a day, as well as its fundraising supper clubs, in which they serve three-course dinners to guests. Bosses want to support 50 more people to take part in the programme next year so the money from The Merchant Taylor’s Company was much-needed .
One member, Daniel, was particularly pleased. He was a silver service waiter before suffering a brain injury in a violent assault back in 1990, aged just 37.
“I used to get a buzz out of it,” he said. “I didn’t look at it as a job, even though I got paid. I just enjoyed doing it. And it’s the same here. It gives me that buzz. I know I can’t go back to working in a hotel or a restaurant, but I can help people out doing it here.”
Headway CEO Anthony Bonfil said: “We’ve come a long way in the past few years, and as we look to top off our 20th birthday celebrations next spring we want to utilise the talents of our membership more than ever by expanding and developing our creative projects, including the kitchen.
“We couldn’t do this without the generosity of our supporters, and in this particular case from the substantial grant from The Merchant Taylor’s Company, for which we are extremely grateful”.
The next supper club is on February 7. To buy tickets, click here.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 2 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 3 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 4 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 5 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 6 Port and pie pop-up coming to Shoreditch
- 7 Things to do in north London: Christmas markets, workshops and more this weekend
- 8 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 9 Missing girl, 11, could be in Hackney
- 10 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney