Haggerston brain injury charity awarded funding to continue vital support service
- Credit: Archant
A vital support service for brain injury survivors in east London has been secured for another four years thanks to a lottery grant.
Headway East London in Haggerston, was awarded cash by The National Lottery Community Fund to continue its Casework Service.
Since launching in 2015, the service has supported more than 650 survivors and their families across 13 London boroughs, helping to improve wellbeing and self-esteem and avoid psychological and financial crises common for survivors when returning to their communities.
It works from the headquarters in Kingsland Road and from two hospitals - Homerton and The Royal London.
One service user said: "Meeting Headway in the hospital was probably one of the most important encounters of my life. When I got home and found out I couldn't read, I wouldn't have known where to turn. What I used to do for a living before I can't do anymore. They're helping me find a new and different path."
You may also want to watch:
Casework manager Natalie Clapshaw said: "We're so grateful to the National Lottery Community Fund for recognising the vital work we have been doing. Continuation funding like this is fairly rare, so this speaks volumes for the impact our service has had and the value it brings to survivors of brain injury."
- 1 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 6 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 9 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate