Haggerston crowd-funded pottery studio will be run like a gym
- Credit: Archant
A groundbreaking initiative to set up the Turning Earth ceramics studio in Whiston Road, Haggerston, has raised £13,660 through crowd funding.
Founder of Turning Earth Ceramics Studio, Tallie Maughan, smashed her target of £8,000 to set up the studio by November.
Crowd funding sees people chipping in pledges for community projects to make them a reality.
Although the UK is famous for ceramic arts, it is fast becoming a dying craft here due to lack of funds and the high cost.
Turning Earth promises to provide an affordably priced, easy-access studio in two large railway arches for potters on a monthly membership fee basis.
You may also want to watch:
Already seen in the US, the model provides shared facilities in a similar way to a gym.
At a cost of between £100 to £155 members will gain 15-hours a week access as well as equipment, storage, advice and mentoring from trained staff.
- 1 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 2 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 8 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 9 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 10 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
Ms Maughan will open the studio with Stuart Carey, who has taught at the prestigious Royal College of Art and Central St Martins.
MP for Hackney South, Meg Hillier presented the big cheque last Tuesday night in the yard of the new studio and toasted the success of the campaign with supporters and studio members.
For more information see www.turningearthceramics.co.uk.