Haggerston’s By The Bridge cafe will give free food to the homeless on Christmas Eve
- Credit: By the Bridge
A café in Haggerston will throw open its doors to serve homeless people on Christmas Eve – and is appealing for cash and donations to give them some winter warmers.
Those in need will be able to get soups, sandwiches and biscuits at By The Bridge Café in Kingsland Road on Sunday.
Owner Hande Sezgin also hopes to distribute bags of hats, socks, scarves and gloves as well as women’s hygiene products.
She came up with the idea after a staff meeting.
“Someone made a joke about coming into work on Christmas Eve, and then I got to thinking that we should do it,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“One woman who I saw sitting outside Tesco in Spitalfields hit home. It’s got to be horrendous.
“If I’m struggling with the cold I can’t imagine what it would be like for these people.
- 1 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 4 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 5 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 6 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
“I know to have some hot food and drink is not going to take everything away, but it’s a bit of an escape for them, and a few hours away from that situation.”
Hande has been spreading the word at homeless shelters.
She’s hoping to raise £250 for the cause, and has hit £170.
To donate, visit gofundme.com/xmas-warmers.