Haggerston’s iconic football pub The Albion to reopen as The Virgin Queen this week
- Credit: Archant
Iconic Haggerston pub The Albion will reopen this week as The Virgin Queen, following a six-month refurb that has seen football memorabilia swapped for Elizabethan chic.
The boozer – an outpost for West Brom fans in London for the last 20 years – was regarded as one of the top football pubs in the capital until it closed in June.
Now new owner Remarkable Pubs, which also runs The Reliance in Old Street and The Shakespeare in Stoke Newington, is putting the finishing touches to the major redesign.
As well as the promised “posh fish and chips” from Victoria Park restaurant The Fish House, limited edition beers from Hackney Brewery will be on offer, while Hackney Downs’ Square Root Soda will also be stocked.
Manager Liam Sherlock said: “The Tudor-style exterior that everyone is so familiar with has been complemented by wooden panelling inside, taking inspiration from nearby Sutton House.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to welcoming our first customers into the pub and hope that they’ll enjoy exploring and discovering some of the surprises we have lined up for them.
“With local drinks, food and other home-grown Hackney touches in place I’m hoping all our neighbours will feel instantly at home and believe there will be a great vibe all through the week.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
The pub will be pulling pints from Thursday.