Haggerston’s iconic football pub The Albion to reopen as The Virgin Queen this week
- Credit: Archant
Iconic Haggerston pub The Albion will reopen this week as The Virgin Queen, following a six-month refurb that has seen football memorabilia swapped for Elizabethan chic.
The boozer – an outpost for West Brom fans in London for the last 20 years – was regarded as one of the top football pubs in the capital until it closed in June.
Now new owner Remarkable Pubs, which also runs The Reliance in Old Street and The Shakespeare in Stoke Newington, is putting the finishing touches to the major redesign.
As well as the promised “posh fish and chips” from Victoria Park restaurant The Fish House, limited edition beers from Hackney Brewery will be on offer, while Hackney Downs’ Square Root Soda will also be stocked.
Manager Liam Sherlock said: “The Tudor-style exterior that everyone is so familiar with has been complemented by wooden panelling inside, taking inspiration from nearby Sutton House.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking forward to welcoming our first customers into the pub and hope that they’ll enjoy exploring and discovering some of the surprises we have lined up for them.
“With local drinks, food and other home-grown Hackney touches in place I’m hoping all our neighbours will feel instantly at home and believe there will be a great vibe all through the week.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 5 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 6 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
The pub will be pulling pints from Thursday.