Haggerston charity to bring Christmas gifts to disadvantaged children
- Credit: Andrew Leo Photography
A Haggerston-based charity is hosting a #dearsecretsanta campaign to brighten Christmas for children across Hackney and Islington.
SkyWay Charity is asking for donations to buy presents for 206 children aged four to 12 years old who would likely go without anything on Christmas Day this year.
As of Tuesday, December 15, the campaign has raised £1,850 of a £3,000 target, which has included an anonymous donation of £300.
The Virgin Money Giving page gives donors six presents to choose, although this is primarily to indicate a price bracket and a range of different presents will be bought with the funds.
Sam Mars, head of fundraising and communications, said certain households are "like a pack of cards, there are finely balanced elements and when disrupted, life can fall down.”
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The idea is to make sure children realise the magic of Christmas. That no matter what else is happening, they can always find a bit of joy.”
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder