Haggerston charity to bring Christmas gifts to disadvantaged children
- Credit: Andrew Leo Photography
A Haggerston-based charity is hosting a #dearsecretsanta campaign to brighten Christmas for children across Hackney and Islington.
SkyWay Charity is asking for donations to buy presents for 206 children aged four to 12 years old who would likely go without anything on Christmas Day this year.
As of Tuesday, December 15, the campaign has raised £1,850 of a £3,000 target, which has included an anonymous donation of £300.
The Virgin Money Giving page gives donors six presents to choose, although this is primarily to indicate a price bracket and a range of different presents will be bought with the funds.
Sam Mars, head of fundraising and communications, said certain households are "like a pack of cards, there are finely balanced elements and when disrupted, life can fall down.”
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The idea is to make sure children realise the magic of Christmas. That no matter what else is happening, they can always find a bit of joy.”
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared