Happy birthday to skincare model Irene, 108 – who still mops her own floor
- Credit: Archant
Walk everywhere and eat lots of fresh veg: Irene Sinclair reckons that’s the secret to a long, healthy life.
At 108 years old, advice from Irene – who celebrated her birthday on Friday – is worth listening to.
An international model who graced billboards as recently as eight years ago in a Dove skincare campaign, Irene still enjoys a trip to her beloved local, the Auld Shillelagh in Church Street.
Friday’s party at her Yoakley Road home included balloons, banners, cakes and flowers – but when you’re 108, you get to have two parties.
So the annual tradition of a celebration at the Auld Shillelagh with all her friends went ahead on Tuesday as well. She is described by friends there as “the life of the party”; her favourite tipple is ginger wine.
Irene, who moved to Hackney in 1971, said: “Once you reach 100, people start to notice you.”
People were noticing her a little earlier than that. In 2005, aged 96, she took part in Dove’s “Real Women” campaign and her smile was seen on posters across the world. She made such an impact that on her 100th birthday she received 240 birthday cards.
- 1 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 2 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 3 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 4 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 5 2 men stabbed in 'row involving group' in Upper Clapton
- 6 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 7 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 8 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 9 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 10 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
“I know you won’t listen to my advice,” she told the Gazette, “but when I was younger there wasn’t much transport in this area.
“We used to walk two to three miles at a time.
“And I’ve always eaten freshly grown foods because there weren’t any supermarkets here.”
Friend Christine Lemmon added: “Reenie is very intelligent and always full of funny stories.”
After a few unfortunate falls, Irene’s trips to the pub have become less frequent – but nothing stops her mopping her own bathroom and kitchen and doing her own washing.
If you’re a friend of Irene, send her a birthday wish by e-mailing email@example.com