Happy birthday to skincare model Irene, 108 – who still mops her own floor
- Credit: Archant
Walk everywhere and eat lots of fresh veg: Irene Sinclair reckons that’s the secret to a long, healthy life.
At 108 years old, advice from Irene – who celebrated her birthday on Friday – is worth listening to.
An international model who graced billboards as recently as eight years ago in a Dove skincare campaign, Irene still enjoys a trip to her beloved local, the Auld Shillelagh in Church Street.
Friday’s party at her Yoakley Road home included balloons, banners, cakes and flowers – but when you’re 108, you get to have two parties.
So the annual tradition of a celebration at the Auld Shillelagh with all her friends went ahead on Tuesday as well. She is described by friends there as “the life of the party”; her favourite tipple is ginger wine.
You may also want to watch:
Irene, who moved to Hackney in 1971, said: “Once you reach 100, people start to notice you.”
People were noticing her a little earlier than that. In 2005, aged 96, she took part in Dove’s “Real Women” campaign and her smile was seen on posters across the world. She made such an impact that on her 100th birthday she received 240 birthday cards.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
“I know you won’t listen to my advice,” she told the Gazette, “but when I was younger there wasn’t much transport in this area.
“We used to walk two to three miles at a time.
“And I’ve always eaten freshly grown foods because there weren’t any supermarkets here.”
Friend Christine Lemmon added: “Reenie is very intelligent and always full of funny stories.”
After a few unfortunate falls, Irene’s trips to the pub have become less frequent – but nothing stops her mopping her own bathroom and kitchen and doing her own washing.
If you’re a friend of Irene, send her a birthday wish by e-mailing email@example.com