Harry Kane ends his goalless spell as Spurs thump Premier League leaders Man City

Harry Kane ended his goalless spell for Tottenham as the Lilywhites came from behind to thump leaders Manchester City 4-1 and secure their third successive Premier League victory.

City took the lead as Kevin De Bruyne finished off a break to score for his third game in a row, but Eric Dier equalised with a long-range strike just before half-time – and Spurs went on to strike three unanswered goals after the interval.

Toby Alderweireld headed home from Erik Lamela’s free kick, netting his first goal for Tottenham, and Kane then followed up after Christian Eriksen hit the wordwork to record his first goal for Spurs this season and end a much-publicised dry spell, having failed to score in the club’s opening eight matches of the campaign.

Erik Lamela added further gloss to the scoreline with a deserved goal 11 minutes from time, set up by Clinton Njie, who had only been on the pitch for two minutes beforehand.

A superb day for Tottenham is reflected in the league table as Mauricio Pochettino’s side climbed within three points of City.

Having fielded a weakened team in the Capital One Cup defeat against Arsenal in midweek, Pochettino picked his strongest available side against Manchester City.

Dier, Eriksen and Kane were the only players to start both games, and there was just one change from the previous league game against Crystal Palace – Eriksen replacing Nacer Chadli.

Most Read

While Spurs pressed energetically from the off, City were the brighter side and Hugo Lloris got a let-off when he scuffed a kick straight to Raheem Sterling, who fortunately used his arm to control the ball with his hand 20 yards out – and De Bruyne and Yaya Toure had range-finders from outside the box.

Spurs threatened with a good piece of play as Toby Alderweireld’s raking crossfield ball found Ben Davies, and he drove in a volleyed cross to Lamela, whose shot was saved.

But Aguero was looking menacing, testing Lloris with a low strike and then meeting Bacary Sagna’s low cross but failing to get enough contact on his first-time shot.

City went on to take the lead in the 25th minute. Kyle Walker played a loose pass deep in opposition territory and Toure led a break before playing the ball in behind Dele Alli – who had dropped in to cover for Davies – for De Bruyne, who fired past Lloris. Replays showed the goal was offside but it stood nonetheless.

Heung-Min Son shot at City keeper Willy Cabellero as Spurs looked for an immediate response, but Sterling gave Lloris a far sterner test at the other end, forcing the Frenchman to dive down and claw the ball out of the bottom left corner.

However, Tottenham began to find their feet again and an Nicolas Otamendi airkick allowed Kane to run at the box and shoot – but he dragged his effort wide when the better option might have been to play in Eriksen on his right-hand side.

Jan Vertonghen then drove forward and Davies delivered a low cross which was deflected to Lamela, who skied his shot into the stands from a good position.

A fine touch from Lamela allowed him to spin to the edge of the box and, while his shot was blocked, the ball fell to Kane, whose strike forced a diving save from Caballero.

The equaliser came just before half-time. Walker, who was clearly offside, overlapped and put in a low cross for Son, who was denied by a fine point-blank save from Caballero – but the ball came out to Dier 25 yards out and he hammered it into the net off the bottom of the left post.

City attempted to regain the upper hand after the interval as Toure side-footed the ball at Lloris and an Aguero cross-shot was blocked – but it was Tottenham who took the lead as Kane won a free kick and Alderweireld leapt to head over the stranded Caballero from Lamela’s inswinging free kick.

The hosts went on to take a 3-1 lead 11 minutes later. Lamela did well to win the ball in his own half, play a one-two with Eriksen and advance to win a free kick 25 yards from City’s goal. Eriksen stepped up and whipped the ball against the right angle of post and bar and, when it came back out, Kane was on hand to stab it into the empty net.

The visitors were not giving up and Lloris dived to tip a shot from substitute Jesus Navas over the bar while Sterling shot wide from the edge of the box.

But Spurs were not finished either and Caballero was forced into action again, palming away a stinging drive from Kane before Tottenham added their fourth goal.

Njie had only just come off the bench when he got free down the right flank and played the ball in to Lamela. The Argentine initially got the ball stuck under his feet but he kept his head and went wide of Caballero to create the angle to finish and send the Spurs faithful into delirium.

Tottenham: Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Alli, Lamela (Carroll 87), Son (Njie 77), Eriksen (Chadli 68), Kane

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs