Harry Kane’s on target again as Tottenham secure a draw against Liverpool

Tottenham came from behind to secure a 1-1 draw against Liverpool, with Harry Kane hitting his 22nd Premier League goal of the season at Anfield.

Philippe Countinho fired the Reds into the lead six minutes after the break but Spurs levelled shortly after the hour-mark, with Kane swivelling and shooting clinically into the bottom right corner.

It was the England forward’s seventh goal in five starts for club and country and it also set a new Tottenham record for the most Premier League goals scored in a season.

Both sides had chances to go on and win the game in a thrilling contest, but Mauricio Pochettino’s visitors had to settle for a draw which takes them four points behind Leicester City – although the league leaders can extend their advantage to seven points when they host Southampton tomorrow (Sunday).

There was one change to the Spurs side that had beaten Bournemouth in their previous outing before the international break, with Heung-Min Son replacing Erik Lamela, who was absent due to a calf problem.

It was an end-to-end encounter from the start. Kyle Walker played a one-two with Son and teed up Christian Eriksen, whose shot was parried by Simon Mignolet, while James Milner’s effort was blocked by Kevin Wimmer in Spurs’ box and the dangerous Coutinho sent a follow-up volley at Hugo Lloris.

Liverpool looked uncertain and vulnerable at the back, with Mignolet and Dejan Lovren getting into a muddle and allowing Kane to charge down the goalkeeper’s clearance, but fortunately for the hosts the ball ricocheted into the crowd.

Most Read

Yet Lloris was becoming increasingly busy and was forced to dive to save Son from an own goal as the South Korea international diverted Coutinho’s low cross towards the bottom corner.

Kane shot across goal but Walker had to make a well-timed sliding challenge to stop Milner reaching a loose ball inside Tottenham’s penalty area, and Daniel Sturridge then went clean through on goal but fired straight at Lloris.

Liverpool were gaining the upper hand and Lloris had to dive to palm Adam Lallana’s shot away before making an ever better save from the English midfielder - Lallana volleyed the ball into the ground and it appeared to be looping over Lloris but the Frenchman somehow managed to make a diving fingertip save to keep the scores level at the break.

Spurs created the first chance in the second period as Kane whipped in an inswinging cross to Dele Alli, who had more time than he realised after running in behind Liverpool’s back four and made a hash of his flicked header.

Instead, it was Liverpool who took the lead, with the influential Coutinho playing a neat one-two with Sturridge and burying the ball into the bottom right corner.

Sturridge had a chance to make it 2-0 shortly after, heading over from six yards, but Spurs responded well.

Eric Dier floated the ball over the top of the Liverpool defence to Son, who volleyed inches wide of the far post from the corner of the six-yard box – and the Lilywhites then equalised.

Eriksen did well to chase down an overhit pass from Son and keep it play on the left by-line before playing the ball in to Kane, who turned and found the bottom right corner with a fine finish.

Both sides pushed for a winner, with Coutinho driving the ball between Lloris and his goalline from a narrow angle and Spurs substitute Nacer Chadli passing up an opportunity to get a shot off on the break.

Eriksen then freed Alli with a delightful chipped pass, but the 19-year-old’s chest control unusually let him down and the chance was lost.

The Spurs supporters’ hearts were in their mouths as Countinho shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box, but Tottenham also had one final chance in injury time as Danny Rose got in behind, only to see a low cross cut out.

Tottenham: Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Wimmer, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Son (Chadli 66), Alli (Mason 88), Eriksen, Kane

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs