Tottenham and England forward Kane nominated for Best FIFA Men’s Player 2018 award
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
After scoring 41 times for Spurs and on six occasions for England at the World Cup, the 24-year-old has been shortlisted for a top honour
Tottenham Hotspur forward Harry Kane has been shortlisted for the Best FIFA Men’s Player 2018.
The England captain has enjoyed a stunning 2017/18 campaign and capped it off by winning the golden boot at the World Cup.
For Spurs, Kane scored 41 times during the past season – his best ever return – as the Lilywhites finished third in the Premier League, reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup and made the last-16 of the Champions League.
He took this form into the World Cup where he started impressively for England and grabbed a brace in a 2-1 win over Tunisia and then a hat-trick in a 6-1 success against Panama.
You may also want to watch:
Kane went on to score once more, in the last-16 victory against Colombia, and it was enough to see him claim the golden boot.
Fellow players shortlisted for the award include last year’s winner Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona and Argentina star Lionel Messi.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
Other Premier League players listed are Belgium duo Kevin de Bruyne and Eden Hazard plus Mo Salah.
Elsewhere, France trio Kylian Mbappe, Raphael Varane and Antoine Griezmann are included alongside Croatia captain and former Spurs midfielder Luka Modric.
A statement on FIFA.com read: “The ten-man shortlist for the Best FIFA Men’s Player 2018 award - based on their respective achievements during the period from 3 July 2017 to 15 July 2018 inclusive - has been compiled by a panel of FIFA Legends.
“You, the fans, now have a say and can vote for your personal top three (First choice: 5 points, second choice: 3 points and third choice: 1 point).
“The fan vote will be equally weighted alongside the votes of other key members of the footballing community - namely journalists, national team coaches and captains.
“The three finalists for each award will be revealed at a later date, with all award winners revealed at the Best FIFA Football Awards show in London on 24 September.”
Some of the FIFA legends involved in the selection process include Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba, Kaka, Fabio Capello, Alessandro Nesta, Ronaldo (Brazil), Lothar Matthaus and Carlos Alberto Parreira.