Barbara Windsor to open Hackney hospice’s Xmas bazaar
Ex-EastEnders star at St Joseph’s fundraiser
Former EastEnders actress and “Carry On” star, Barbara Windsor, is set to re-establish her links with Hackney’s St Joseph’s Hospice when she officially opens its annual Christmas bazaar next Saturday afternoon (November 20).
It will be a Hackney homecoming for Babs who was born in Shoreditch and attended Our Lady of St Joseph’s School in Stamford Hill before achieving showbiz success.
The 73-year-old who quit her role as landlady of the Queen Vic in the TV soap earlier this year will open the fundraising event at the hospice in Mare Street which cares for people with terminal illness.
Barbara is a long-term supporter of the hospice having opened its summer fete in the past.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “ I have had an association with St Joseph’s for many years
and it is my privilege to attend and see everyone at the Christmas bazzar this year.”
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Among the attractions will be clothing, shoe, bag. and bric-a-brac stalls, plus tombola, food, a Santa’s grotto, complementary threapies including massages and acupuncture, as well as musical entertainment from the Nostalgia Steel Band and Music for People.
The bazaar kicks off at noon and runs until 3pm.