Barbara Windsor to open Hackney hospice’s Xmas bazaar
Ex-EastEnders star at St Joseph’s fundraiser
Former EastEnders actress and “Carry On” star, Barbara Windsor, is set to re-establish her links with Hackney’s St Joseph’s Hospice when she officially opens its annual Christmas bazaar next Saturday afternoon (November 20).
It will be a Hackney homecoming for Babs who was born in Shoreditch and attended Our Lady of St Joseph’s School in Stamford Hill before achieving showbiz success.
The 73-year-old who quit her role as landlady of the Queen Vic in the TV soap earlier this year will open the fundraising event at the hospice in Mare Street which cares for people with terminal illness.
Barbara is a long-term supporter of the hospice having opened its summer fete in the past.
She said: “ I have had an association with St Joseph’s for many years
and it is my privilege to attend and see everyone at the Christmas bazzar this year.”
- 1 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 2 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 3 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 4 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 5 'Major victory': Ridley Road Shopping Village's future secured
- 6 Hackney council home tenants to see rents increase
- 7 Afghan refugee family rehomed in Hackney
- 8 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 9 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 10 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
Among the attractions will be clothing, shoe, bag. and bric-a-brac stalls, plus tombola, food, a Santa’s grotto, complementary threapies including massages and acupuncture, as well as musical entertainment from the Nostalgia Steel Band and Music for People.
The bazaar kicks off at noon and runs until 3pm.