Breastfeeding Welcome Scheme launches in Hackney
A scheme developed to make it easier for mums to know where they will be made especially welcome to breastfeed has been launched in Hackney.
NHS North East London and City and the council jointly commissioned the Breastfeeding Welcome Scheme following a survey which found many women in Hackney are not comfortable breastfeeding in public, and this was a contributing factor in women switching from breast to bottle feeding.
Breastfed babies are less likely to suffer from gastro-enteritis, chest, ear and urinary infections, childhood diabetes asthma, eczema and obesity than babies who are formula fed.
Under the Equality Act, passed in April 2010, mums cannot be discriminated against, asked to leave a venue or treated unfavourably because they are breastfeeding when out and about in England and Wales.
Sherry Bevan, volunteer at the National Childbirth Trust parenting charity, which is co-ordinating the scheme, said: “It is fantastic that mums have the right to breastfeed when they’re out without worrying.
You may also want to watch:
“However surveys have shown that two in three breastfeeding mums have faced unsupportive comments or behaviour - seeing the new Breastfeeding Welcome sticker in a cafe or shop window will be a real boost to a mother’s confidence to breastfeed when out and about.”
To find out which venues have signed up see www.breastfeedingwelcomescheme.org.uk
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 9 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 10 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton