Coronavirus: Confirmed cases in City and Hackney rise to 29
- Credit: PA
The number of confirmed coronavirus sufferers in City and Hackney has risen by a third in 24-hours, as seven more people were hospitalised with coronavirus.
There are now 29 people who have tested positive for coronavirus in Hackney and City of London, which share a health authority, as of 9am yesterday, according to Public Health England.
There are 30 confirmed cases in Camden, 29 in Haringey, and 29 in Islington.
The true figure of people who are infected with Covid-19 is likely to be much higher.
The government is only testing patients in intensive care and patients admitted to hospital with the coronavirus, contrary to World Health Organisation guidance, which is that the key in the battle against coronavirus is to “test, test, test”.
You may also want to watch:
The government has called on industry to urgently develop a new test to determine whether people have developed immunity.
Across the UK 103 people have died and 2,626 have tested positive for the virus.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
Sixty-five people have recovered from the virus.
Schools in the UK will be closed from tomorrow to try to combat the outbreak.