Columbia Road man ditches his electric scooter after dramatic weight loss
- Credit: Archant
A popular Columbia Road man lost six stone in three months – and is so much fitter he’s even been able to ditch the electric scooter he used to need.
Andrew Banks is a well-known face in the street – but friends thought he must have had an operation when he shed the pounds earlier this year.
After feeling lonely on Valentine’s Day, the 52-year-old decided it was time to change his life and a friend recommended he speak to health expert Majorie Green.
He walked into the nutritional therapist’s office weighing 20st 4lbs.
“It was Valentine’s and I haven’t got a girlfriend,” he told the Gazette. “I said to myself: ‘It’s getting too much now, I can’t handle it. I’m going to try and do it and see what happens’.”
You may also want to watch:
Andrew had lived on a diet of junk food for years. He never cooked and survived on takeaways and eating in cafes. He had been going to NHS weight-loss clinics for years but had only managed to put on weight.
He was also on the waiting list for a gastric bypass, but never had the operation.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Marjorie’s weight-loss programme uses “bioresonance”. She says she can test for food intolerances the patient may not know they have using electromagnetic waves. She then draws up a 12-week diet for the person based around the findings.
“She told me to have a wheat-free diet and before long I’d lost a stone,” Andrew continued. “After I’d lost six stone everybody who saw me said I’d had the operation because it was impossible to lose weight that quickly, but I said: ‘No, I’ve got a miracle worker’.
“I had an electric scooter because I’ve got problems with my legs but now I’m using a walking stick. It’s given me so much more confidence.
“I like to have nice clothes but it was depressing having to buy XXXL when they only have one colour. Now I go in and get a large and they have all different colours. It’s amazing.
“Losing the weight has changed my life a lot. Now I’m trying to find a nice girlfriend.”