Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- Credit: Archant
Since it first case in Hackney the Delta Covid variant, previously called the Indian variant, has continued to spread with the more contagious strain making up 36 per cent of all Covid cases in the week ending June 5.
In the same period the UK saw the variant make up 41pc of all Covid cases, down from 42pc the week before but up from 32pc in the week ending May 22.
There have been 555 Covid cases and 91 Delta variant cases since the variant arrived in the borough in May, with Delta cases making up 16pc of all Covid cases in Hackney during that period.
While Hackney's numbers are higher than some parts of the country such as Cambridge (3pc) or King's Lynn and West Norfolk (2pc), its percentage of Delta cases is significantly lower than that of neighbouring boroughs.
Islington saw Delta cases make up 71pc of all Covid cases compared to Hackney's 36 in the week ending June 5.
While Tower Hamlets saw the strain make up 63pc of all cases, Haringey and Newham's figures were at 68pc and Waltham Forest at 63pc.
- 1 Man 'threw toolbox' at woman's head at Overground station
- 2 Court shown moment man is arrested in the road naked after 'ferocious' attack on girlfriend
- 3 Video shows jewellers in Stamford Hill robbed twice in two months
- 4 Children hospitalised in Stamford Hill house fire involving candles
- 5 Hackney high streets to get funding boost
- 6 Hackney dance class needs funding to provide free sessions for London Fields community
- 7 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 8 Gong bathing comes to Holloway, Dalston and Stoke Newington
- 9 How Covid could set back Antonio Conte's Spurs revival
- 10 Acapella choir to debut at Hackney's Round Chapel