Hackney Half fitness tips with personal trainer Matt Smith: Remember to run at different speeds
- Credit: Archant
Matt Smith is training the Gazette running team for the Hackney Half. He will be giving readers regular fitness tips to help in their own preparation or just inspire them to get off the sofa. This week it’s all about mixing things up.
Variety is the spice of life.
Running outside isn’t like running on a treadmill. Things change: speed, gait, direction.
So use this in your running prep. Sticking to a steady state and grinding out the distance works but it’s hard to create improvement and it can be rather dull. So try something a little different.
After a quick warm-up, perform the following: two minutes’ walking at a fast pace, two minutes’ jogging, and one minute of fast running.
You may also want to watch:
Repeat for a set distance or time.
Make sure you can see a noticeable change in heart and breathing rate. Studies have found this sort of routine helps in running ability and speed and also has shown to help body composition and weight and fat loss.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
You can do this on a treadmill, too, especially while we deal with the spring showers – just use appropriate settings.
• Dalston man Matt trains clients at Fitness First in Liverpool Street station. E-mail him on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit instagram.com/fireandsteelfit.