Hackney Half fitness tips with personal trainer Matt Smith: The lunge
- Credit: Archant
PT Matt Smith is preparing the Gazette’s running team for the Hackney Half – as well as bringing you regular fitness tips to encourage you to take on the race and help with training.
The humble lunge or big old step: a simple exercise that has the ability to highlight and correct imbalances between the glutes/hamstrings/quads.
Forward, backward or sideways – it doesn’t matter. But aim for 90 degrees in the knees and a solid foot fall, with primary contact being through the heel.
Try three sets of 10 per leg for a warm up before you go running. Try sets of 100 (no stopping, please) to help with endurance and lactate threshold. Or drop the number of repetitions and hold a weight while lunging to increase strength, which will help overall speed and help with knee issues.
You may also want to watch:
Matt trains at Fitness First in Liverpool Street station. Visit instagram.com/fireandsteelfit or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift