Hackney Half fitness tips with personal trainer Matt Smith: The lunge
- Credit: Archant
PT Matt Smith is preparing the Gazette’s running team for the Hackney Half – as well as bringing you regular fitness tips to encourage you to take on the race and help with training.
The humble lunge or big old step: a simple exercise that has the ability to highlight and correct imbalances between the glutes/hamstrings/quads.
Forward, backward or sideways – it doesn’t matter. But aim for 90 degrees in the knees and a solid foot fall, with primary contact being through the heel.
Try three sets of 10 per leg for a warm up before you go running. Try sets of 100 (no stopping, please) to help with endurance and lactate threshold. Or drop the number of repetitions and hold a weight while lunging to increase strength, which will help overall speed and help with knee issues.
You may also want to watch:
Matt trains at Fitness First in Liverpool Street station. Visit instagram.com/fireandsteelfit or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 9 Where to go to get Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccinations
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop