Hackney Half fitness tips with personal trainer Matt Smith: The lunge
- Credit: Archant
PT Matt Smith is preparing the Gazette’s running team for the Hackney Half – as well as bringing you regular fitness tips to encourage you to take on the race and help with training.
The humble lunge or big old step: a simple exercise that has the ability to highlight and correct imbalances between the glutes/hamstrings/quads.
Forward, backward or sideways – it doesn’t matter. But aim for 90 degrees in the knees and a solid foot fall, with primary contact being through the heel.
Try three sets of 10 per leg for a warm up before you go running. Try sets of 100 (no stopping, please) to help with endurance and lactate threshold. Or drop the number of repetitions and hold a weight while lunging to increase strength, which will help overall speed and help with knee issues.
You may also want to watch:
Matt trains at Fitness First in Liverpool Street station. Visit instagram.com/fireandsteelfit or e-mail email@example.com
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service