Hackney Half: Organisers’ launch party treats passers-by to free yoga and a drums performance at a bus stop
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of this year’s Hackney Half Marathon offered free yoga, running warmup and even a drum performance to passers-by outside the town hall last night.
Virgin Sport’s chief exec Mary Wittenberg was there to help step up publicity for the race on April 30.
She said the company is particularly proud of its association with Hackney.
“This is the number one place we wanted to [sponsor a race],” she said. “People come out and stand in front of their homes to cheer.
“It’s got such a spirit to it – that community spirit is everything.”
You may also want to watch:
The company has plans to work in Hackney again. It’s the first time Virgin Sport has sponsored the event, which was branded last year as Vitality Run Hackney.
“Over time I really hope we can engage the artistic community here, to help create visual and musical art and food,” she said.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
“The more we can support, connect, and call attention to people here all year round – that would be great.”
The Hackney Half, part of Virgin Sport’s “Festival of Fitness” that also includes shorter races, is on April 30.
It will wind its way around famous borough landmarks including Hackney Downs, the Hackney Empire and Broadway Market.