Hackney Half: Organisers’ launch party treats passers-by to free yoga and a drums performance at a bus stop
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of this year’s Hackney Half Marathon offered free yoga, running warmup and even a drum performance to passers-by outside the town hall last night.
Virgin Sport’s chief exec Mary Wittenberg was there to help step up publicity for the race on April 30.
She said the company is particularly proud of its association with Hackney.
“This is the number one place we wanted to [sponsor a race],” she said. “People come out and stand in front of their homes to cheer.
“It’s got such a spirit to it – that community spirit is everything.”
You may also want to watch:
The company has plans to work in Hackney again. It’s the first time Virgin Sport has sponsored the event, which was branded last year as Vitality Run Hackney.
“Over time I really hope we can engage the artistic community here, to help create visual and musical art and food,” she said.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
“The more we can support, connect, and call attention to people here all year round – that would be great.”
The Hackney Half, part of Virgin Sport’s “Festival of Fitness” that also includes shorter races, is on April 30.
It will wind its way around famous borough landmarks including Hackney Downs, the Hackney Empire and Broadway Market.