Hackney Jurassic play teams off the park in football win
- Credit: "The FA via Getty Images"
Old friends dusted off their football boots to compete in a national football competition – and proceeded to show everyone how it was done.
Hackney Jurassic roared to success in the female veterans’ category of the FA Peoples Cup Finals, beating the FURD (Football Unites, Racism Divides) 4-0.
The finals, held in Sheffield, saw 90 teams compete, but it was the first year for the females veteran category.
Team captain Sharon Hopkins said: “This competition has brought us all back together. We used to play when we were younger, but they have not been any opportunities for women’s veteran teams to come together and play until now.
“When we heard about Peoples Cup it was like a big reunion and we set out our stall to win and we are delighted to have achieved this.”
You may also want to watch:
Hackney Jurassic were one of 4,300 teams to enter the competition, across all catergories, and progressed to the national finals after qualifying regionally.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web