Hackney Jurassic play teams off the park in football win
- Credit: "The FA via Getty Images"
Old friends dusted off their football boots to compete in a national football competition – and proceeded to show everyone how it was done.
Hackney Jurassic roared to success in the female veterans’ category of the FA Peoples Cup Finals, beating the FURD (Football Unites, Racism Divides) 4-0.
The finals, held in Sheffield, saw 90 teams compete, but it was the first year for the females veteran category.
Team captain Sharon Hopkins said: “This competition has brought us all back together. We used to play when we were younger, but they have not been any opportunities for women’s veteran teams to come together and play until now.
“When we heard about Peoples Cup it was like a big reunion and we set out our stall to win and we are delighted to have achieved this.”
You may also want to watch:
Hackney Jurassic were one of 4,300 teams to enter the competition, across all catergories, and progressed to the national finals after qualifying regionally.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12