Hackney man cycles to Paris for charity in memory of his father
- Credit: Archant
A 26-year-old Hackney man and three friends will cycle from London to Paris to raise money for Cancer Research UK this weekend.
Chris Walker, of Richmond Road, Dalston will take on the 320-mile challenge via Hampshire and Normandy along with school and university friends Darrel Lamsdale, George Wood and Duncan Morris.
The macroeconomic strategist who works for Barclays decided to attempt the challenge in memory if his late father, who he lost to liver cancer last December.
He said: “I have been overwhelmed by the support provided from friends and family for this challenge and would to thank all those who have both donated and helped spread the word. It is a story that resonates with many people, but I had not expected to raise over £7000 in such a short space of time. “Hopefully by continuing to raise both awareness and further funding, we can help provide support for those who are affected by this disease and also help fund Cancer research’s pioneering work, which aims to ultimately save lives through research. We have been training hard for this challenge and hope to celebrate its completion in true cycling style, finishing down the Champs-Elysees. ”
Stacey Wilson, Cancer Research UK’s fundraising manager for East London, said: “We are absolutely delighted that Chris has decided to attempt such a great challenge to raise money for Cancer Research UK.
You may also want to watch:
“They have being doing lots of preparation and we’re sure they’re going to have an amazing experience.”
To make a donation, visit www.justgiving.com/chris-walker20/
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 9 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home