Hackney second in UK for chlamydia, herpes and overall STI diagnosis
Figures released yesterday show Hackney ranked a dismal second place in the UK for sexually transmitted infection (STI) diagnosis last year, with over 2,000 new cases.
City and Hackney Primary Care Trust (PCT) patients also ranked second in the UK in 2010 for herpes diagnosis, as well as chlamydia in the over-25 age group, according the Health Protection Agency (HPA) figures.
London had the highest rate of STI diagnosis in England, with diagnoses 50 per cent higher than any other region, and 12 of its 31 PCTs having the country’s overall worst infection rates.
Dr Paul Crook, an expert in STI trends for the HPA in London, said: “Whilst concerning, it is not a surprise to see that the highest STI rates are in London as rates do tend to be higher in regions with large and deprived urban centres.
“It is important that young people come forward for testing as substantial numbers of young people remain undiagnosed, untreated and unaware of the risk to their own health and others.
You may also want to watch:
“The sooner people are diagnosed and treated, the less likely it is that they will pass the infection on or suffer complications from a developing infection.
The HPA recommends sexually active under-25 year olds should be tested for chlamydia every year - or sooner if they change their partner - and to always use a condom when having sex with a new partner and continuing to do so until both partners have been tested.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets