Hackney swimming teacher takes gold
Instructor from Kings Hall Leisure Centre gets Top Teacher of the Year award
A Hackney swimming teacher won gold at the “Oscars” of the British swimming world last week.
Vicki Carter who teaches at Kings Hall Leisure Centre in Lower Clapton Road was proclaimed “Top Teacher of the Year”, one of 11 categories in the Kellogg’s ASA Swimtastic Awards held in Stratford upon Avon.
Vicki, who lives in Heyworth Road, Lower Clapton, was recognised for her patience and the support she gives her pupils and and in particular her work with the over-50s.
Christian Grisdale, General Manager of Kings Hall Leisure Centre, said: “Vicki has started and inspired so many of our over 50’s to firstly overcome their fear of water, learn to swim, gain personal confidence, make new friends and thoroughly enjoy their experience in the pool week after week.
You may also want to watch:
“Her teaching style, personality and encouragement to so many of her swimmers has quite simply had a positive impact on people’s lives.”
The awards were organised by the ASA, Englands sporting governing body.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside