Hackney swimming teacher takes gold
Instructor from Kings Hall Leisure Centre gets Top Teacher of the Year award
A Hackney swimming teacher won gold at the “Oscars” of the British swimming world last week.
Vicki Carter who teaches at Kings Hall Leisure Centre in Lower Clapton Road was proclaimed “Top Teacher of the Year”, one of 11 categories in the Kellogg’s ASA Swimtastic Awards held in Stratford upon Avon.
Vicki, who lives in Heyworth Road, Lower Clapton, was recognised for her patience and the support she gives her pupils and and in particular her work with the over-50s.
Christian Grisdale, General Manager of Kings Hall Leisure Centre, said: “Vicki has started and inspired so many of our over 50’s to firstly overcome their fear of water, learn to swim, gain personal confidence, make new friends and thoroughly enjoy their experience in the pool week after week.
You may also want to watch:
“Her teaching style, personality and encouragement to so many of her swimmers has quite simply had a positive impact on people’s lives.”
The awards were organised by the ASA, Englands sporting governing body.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 6 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 9 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday