Hackney swimming teacher takes gold
Instructor from Kings Hall Leisure Centre gets Top Teacher of the Year award
A Hackney swimming teacher won gold at the “Oscars” of the British swimming world last week.
Vicki Carter who teaches at Kings Hall Leisure Centre in Lower Clapton Road was proclaimed “Top Teacher of the Year”, one of 11 categories in the Kellogg’s ASA Swimtastic Awards held in Stratford upon Avon.
Vicki, who lives in Heyworth Road, Lower Clapton, was recognised for her patience and the support she gives her pupils and and in particular her work with the over-50s.
Christian Grisdale, General Manager of Kings Hall Leisure Centre, said: “Vicki has started and inspired so many of our over 50’s to firstly overcome their fear of water, learn to swim, gain personal confidence, make new friends and thoroughly enjoy their experience in the pool week after week.
You may also want to watch:
“Her teaching style, personality and encouragement to so many of her swimmers has quite simply had a positive impact on people’s lives.”
The awards were organised by the ASA, Englands sporting governing body.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed