Hackney swimming teacher takes gold
Instructor from Kings Hall Leisure Centre gets Top Teacher of the Year award
A Hackney swimming teacher won gold at the “Oscars” of the British swimming world last week.
Vicki Carter who teaches at Kings Hall Leisure Centre in Lower Clapton Road was proclaimed “Top Teacher of the Year”, one of 11 categories in the Kellogg’s ASA Swimtastic Awards held in Stratford upon Avon.
Vicki, who lives in Heyworth Road, Lower Clapton, was recognised for her patience and the support she gives her pupils and and in particular her work with the over-50s.
Christian Grisdale, General Manager of Kings Hall Leisure Centre, said: “Vicki has started and inspired so many of our over 50’s to firstly overcome their fear of water, learn to swim, gain personal confidence, make new friends and thoroughly enjoy their experience in the pool week after week.
You may also want to watch:
“Her teaching style, personality and encouragement to so many of her swimmers has quite simply had a positive impact on people’s lives.”
The awards were organised by the ASA, Englands sporting governing body.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 8 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'