Homerton hospital blunder sees dementia patient tucked up in wrong home

Frederick Taylor with his 88-year-old mother Lilian, who was dropped off by Homerton hospital at th

Frederick Taylor with his 88-year-old mother Lilian, who was dropped off by Homerton hospital at the wrong address. - Credit: Archant

An elderly and confused woman with dementia was taken to a stranger’s house and tucked up in his bed by hospital staff who thought they were taking her home.

Lilian Taylor, 88, of Southwold Road, Clapton, was only found by her family after her son started asking question at the Homerton Hospital –where she had been a patient – and found his mum at the house she used to live in six months ago.

Mrs Taylor had been discharged by the Homerton Row hospital on September 25, but hours later she still hadn’t turned up at home.

Her son Fred asked his mother’s ex-neighbour to check on her old address – and discovered her in the new occupant’s bed “wearing only the nightdress she was discharged in”.

The neighbour described the new resident as a “somewhat confused elderly gentleman”.

Mr Taylor said: “The events were awful. If I had been on holiday, or worse, my mother, who is suffering from Alzheimer’s, may well not be here today.

“She could have been anywhere on the planet and would not have been aware. She’s so reliant on other people, even for doing her shoes up.’’

Most Read

He was also concerned that his mother was discharged in a flimsy nightdress, adding: “I cannot believe they dropped her off in her nightdress. Her former neighbour lent her a dressing gown to go return home with.”

Family Mosaic, who manage the property where Mrs Taylor lives, say the ambulance crew who admitted Mrs Taylor to hospital after she was found collapsed by her bed on September 24 was given a referral note with her up-to-date details.

Mr Taylor now wants an enquiry into the incident to find out what happened.

Homerton hospital say they are currently investigating the incident.

A spokesman said: “We take the safety of our patients very seriously and have immediately launched an investigation into how this incident occurred. We are in contact with Mrs Taylor’s family and once the investigation is completed, we shall be providing them with further details of why Mrs Taylor was taken to her former address.”