Pfizer Covid vaccine approved for 12 to 15-year-olds
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The UK has given approval for the vaccination of 12 to 15-year-olds using the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine.
The vaccine has been approved by The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) following a review of safety and effectiveness in that age group.
MHRA chief executive Dr June Raine said: "We have carefully reviewed clinical trial data in children aged 12 to 15 years and have concluded that the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine is safe and effective in this age group and that the benefits of this vaccine outweigh any risk.
"We have in place a comprehensive safety surveillance strategy for monitoring the safety of all UK-approved Covid-19 vaccines and this surveillance will include the 12- to 15-year age group.
"No extension to an authorisation would be approved unless the expected standards of safety, quality and effectiveness have been met.
You may also want to watch:
"It will now be for the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) to advise on whether this age group will be vaccinated as part of the deployment programme."
- 1 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 2 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 3 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 4 Hackney student's urine project could see her crowned UK Young Scientist of the Year
- 5 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 6 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 7 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 8 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 9 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 10 Queen's Birthday Honours: Hackney man's vital vaccine work honoured