‘Ovarian cancer breaks all stereotypes: Shoreditch survivor helps spread awareness
- Credit: Marc Storey
An ovarian cancer survivor took to the catwalk to raise awareness and help dispel some of the myths about the disease.
Jackie Rose, 48, from Shoreditch, was diagnosed with the disease eight years ago. She had classic ovarian cancer symptoms of bloating, fatigue, abdominal pain and pressure on her bladder.
Although ovarian cancer is often associated with post-menopausal women, Jackie’s story shows it can hit at any age.
Jackie, who works for The Corporation of London, said: “This disease breaks all stereotypes - it doesn’t discriminate about age or whether you are fit or not. I’ve always kept fit and it was a shock to find out I had ovarian cancer. I thought my symptoms were to do with fibroids. “
She has been in remission for six years after having a full hysterectomy and chemotherapy.
You may also want to watch:
The fashion show was held by cancer charity Ovacome at The May Fair Hotel in the West End.
“It was an emotional experience with all of the models having been diagnosed with ovarian cancer”, said Jackie.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
“Had my mother, who was a nurse at the time, not insisted that I get my symptoms checked out, things could have been very different for me.”
Ovacome urges women who have symptoms to ask their GP for a CA125 blood test which would usually indicate if ovarian cancer is present.