Popeye, knitty Noras and WWF wrestlers make the Hackney hospice calendar
Wrestling, motor racing and lounging on exotic beaches are not places you would expect to find hospice patients.
But with a little help from digital photography 12 patients from St Joseph’s in Mare Street have found their way into their dream scenarios in a special calendar.
Lilian John, 90, has been knitting since the age of nine and appears in the calendar with her friend Arlene, covered from head to toe in wool, as a “knitty Nora”.
The pair made friends at St Joseph’s and now regularly speak to each other on the phone.
“I was the fastest knitter in my class at school and I always knitted for my husband, my kids and myself,” said Lilian.
You may also want to watch:
“I used to get paid a shilling an ounce by the local knitting shop.”
St Joseph’s arts co-ordinator Susannah Hewlett created the images, which also show patients dressed as WWE wrestlers and racing drivers and even Popeye, complete with tattoos, pipe and can of spinach.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 8 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
The calendar, called These Are a Few of My Favourite Things, is on sale for �5 in the St Joseph’s cafe.