Stamford Hill buildings sites in breach of health and safety regulations
The inspectors from the Heath and Safety Executive (HSE) served Prohibition Notices for working unsafely at a height at two of the sites, ordering the dangerous practices to stop immediately.
They also issued one Improvement Notice for training failings at another site and provided written advice for minor safety breaches at the other six.
Common issues found throughout the inspections were that basic precautions were missing, such as edge protection to prevent falls from height, work was not properly planned, site managers were poorly trained and workers had inadequate welfare facilities.
Mike Williams, principal inspector for HSE’s construction division in North and East London said: “Construction remains one of Britain’s most dangerous industries and fatal incidents across London have shown how devastating they can be.
“We are very concerned at the number of small sites that are failing to take the most basic precautions to protect workers and members of the public.
You may also want to watch:
“Good health and safety on construction sites is a legal requirement and we will continue to clamp down on dangerous practices or poor standards until the message gets through,” he added.
Provisional figures published last month by the HSE show 49 fatal injuries to construction workers recorded in 2011/12, compared with 50 deaths in 2010/11.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week