Stoke Newington Cricket Club to feature on Sky Sports
Stoke Newington Cricket Club (SNCC) will be the subject of a short film to shown on Sky Sports this month during coverage of the Test series between England and the West Indies.
The 15 minute film which will be aired on May 20, will include SNCC’s outreach work in local schools, showing club coaches training Year 5 and 6 pupils at William Patten School in Stoke Newington Church Street.
Sky was interested to film SNCC because of its involvement in the development of Hackney Marshes as a centre for cricket.
With the support of the England and Wales Cricket Board, Middlesex CCC and Hackney Council, three new grass wickets and four all weather pitches have already been installed there, and a new pavilion is due to be ready for the start of 2013 season.
The club has just been awarded a grant of �10,000 from Sport England and landed a sponsorship deal from Stoke Newington restaurant Yum Yum.
You may also want to watch:
SNCC chairman Robert Merry: “These are very exciting times for the club. We’ve been committed to giving as many young people in Hackney as possible the chance to play cricket.
“The support of the ECB, MCC and Hackney Council has been fantastic and we now have a wonderful place to play and coach cricket in the heart of the borough.”
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic