Workers raise awareness about Covid-19 in Dalston
- Credit: SWIM
Workers from a Hackney based- community interest company want to reduce the risk of coronavirus in Hackney communities by taking to the streets and offering support to residents.
Support When It Matters (SWIM) has put together a team who will be outside Dalston Kingsland Station on Monday June 15 and its outreach team will be giving out face masks, gloves and hand sanitisers to people who need them most. They will also be speaking to people and raising awareness about the implications of Covid-19 on pre-existing health conditions such as diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol.
The next SWIM Assertive Outreach event will take place Saturday June 20 in The Narrow Way, Mare Street opposite M&S between 9am-12pm.
SWIM’s director, support worker and mentor Frank Harris said about the virus: “It’s hit us hard in London and hardest among the black, asian and minority ethnic communities. Everyone knows someone who went to hospital and never came home.”
Black people are twice as likely as white people to die from Covid-19 - after accounting for age, health, socioeconomic status and other factors - according to the Office for National Statistics.
“Until there’s a reliable vaccine, we have to take more care of ourselves and the people around us. That means using masks, gloves and gel in public spaces. And it means understanding the signs of infection and getting checked out by a GP if we’re not feeling right,” said Frank.
READ MORE: Hackney groups support Filipino community disproportionately affected by Covid-19
For more information about SWIM visit www.swimenterprises.com
- 1 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Community bus serving Islington and Hackney cancelled after surging fuel prices
- 4 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 5 5 things to look forward to at All Points East Festival 2022
- 6 Polio virus found in Hackney as vaccine rollout announced
- 7 Rival bosses bemoan ref justice as Tottenham snatch dramatic draw at Chelsea
- 8 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 9 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 10 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park