Woodberry Down reservoir now open to swimmers all year round
- Credit: West Reservoir Centre
Woodberry Down’s West Reservoir is launching its first ever Winter Swimming programme.
The 36-hectare reservoir is usually closed to open water swimming in October and does not reopen until the following May.
However, a surge in demand from outdoor swimmers during the summer, after swimming pools closed due to the coronavirus lockdown, has led to a decision to keep the reservoir open to swimmers during the winter as well.
Ricky McMinn, community leisure facility operator Better’s General Manager at West Reservoir said: “This summer we experienced unprecedented demand from swimmers, many taking to the open water for the first time, as a result of the Coronavirus restrictions.
“With so many converts to the open water, we want to ensure they are able to continue to enjoy their open water swims year round.”
You may also want to watch:
Ricky says, in addition to remaining open, a number of new initiatives are “in the pipeline” including new activities, competitions and races during the colder months, as well as a course introducing swimmers to the open water.
Health and leisure chief, Cllr Chris Kennedy added: “We’ve been working closely with Better to safely open up as many facilities as we can during the pandemic so people can keep active and healthy.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
“All-year swimming at West Reservoir is one way that we can welcome more people to our facilities, with the huge benefits to health that open water swimming can bring.”
Winter opening hours will run Monday to Friday during daylight hours and on weekends from sunrise until early afternoon.
Anyone taking a dip in the reservoir should be an experienced open water swimmer because of the additional challenges when swimming at lower temperatures.
The activity is said to have a variety of health benefits and recent research from Cambridge University has even suggested swimming in cold water can help stave off dementia.
Visitors will be given a briefing about swimming at colder temperatures when they arrive at the reservoir with staff ready to give additional safety advice to those who need it.
The cost per session is £10 for non-members and £5 for Better members.
Monthly membership at West Reservoir costs £32.50 and includes access to all Better operated swimming venues across the UK.
For more information click here