Help give young Hackney Care leavers a great Christmas day this year
- Credit: Kat Lewis
Volunteers from the Hackney Christmas Dinner project want to make sure young people leaving care this year have an unforgettable Christmas day. They’re asking people to help by buying a Madlug backpack and other gifts on their John Lewis gift list by December 8.
Throughout the year they work other jobs but come autumn volunteers like Natalie Mark begin to plan the special day - running purely on donations from businesses and the public.
She told the Gazette: "As many children in care experience moving around in bin bags we thought a memorable gift this year would be to provide them with their own luggage.
"I was in care and had to move from home to home in black bags. Being able to purchase my own suitcase was amazing."
The Christmas Dinner annual project was started by the Poet Lemn Sissay MBE. There are branches run by communities in Hackney, Huddersfield and Birmingham.
You may also want to watch:
To gift a backpack go to: https://www.madlug.com/collections/giving-bags/products/gift-a-backpack-travel-bag-christmas-campaign-2019?variant=31130739376222
Or to see the John Lewis gift list go to using the code 776219: https://www.johnlewisgiftlist.com/giftint/JSPs/GiftList/BuyGifts/GuestFindAList.jsp
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney