Help Stoke Newington’s Clissold Park be best in UK
- Credit: Dominic French
Hackney treasure Clissold Park could become the nation’s favourite outdoor space with the help of residents.
People in the borough are being urged to vote for the rolling 54-acre Stoke Newington green to help it secure the prestigious Green Flag’s People’s Choice Award.
This summer the park retained its prestigious Green Flag status making it one of the best in the country and it received a whopping three million visitors last year.
Now Hackney Council is asking: “Love Clissold?” to put the park and the borough on the map.
Cllr Jonathan McShane, Cabinet Member for Health, Social Care and Culture, said: “Clissold was voted seventh favourite last year but we think we can do better this year and we’re asking people to show their love for one of the borough’s best and most-loved green spaces by taking a few moments to register their vote online.”
Public outcry saved Clissold Park from redevelopment through huge public protest at the end of the nineteenth century and in the past four years more than £9 million has been invested into restoring the park and the Grade II listed Clissold House back to their former glory through joint funding by the council and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The park currently offers a range of services, including tennis courts, skate park. children’s play area, learning pavilion, animal enclosures, organic food-growing area, paddling pool and cafe.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 7 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 8 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
To vote, visit: www.greenflagaward.org/park-summary/?ParkID=449.