‘Heroine of Hackney’ Pauline Pearce sings for Simon Cowell
‘Heroine of Hackney’ Pauline Pearce, who hit the headlines after she was captured on film berating yobs during the London riots, has turned her attention to an altogether scarier character – she’s attempting to wow Simon Cowell on Britain’s Got Talent.
The 46-year-old grandmother, who lives in Dalston, tried to make it as a jazz singer “years ago”, and is hoping to have another crack at achieving chart success, so she auditioned for the pop mogul on Wednesday (Feb 8) at the HMV Hammersmith Apollo.
Pauline told the Gazette she wasn’t allowed to comment on how she’s getting on in the ITV competition because the production crew want to keep the outcome of her appearance a surprise for viewers.
She said: “I actually auditioned for the show in 2010 but didn’t get very far, and my friend said to me I should try again this year.
“I said no, but she secretly entered me and filled out all the forms on my behalf so I got an audition. I said, ‘you little ratbag!’ but decided to give it a go.
You may also want to watch:
“I didn’t want them to know who I was because I wanted it to be the same as 2010 - when I was anonymous - so if I got through it would be on my singing alone. But someone recognised me at the audition.
“I can’t say anything about it, just that I was a nervous wreck!”
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
It has been reported that Pauline and Simon hit it off with some playful banter after she sang ‘The Streets of London’ and dedicated it to the riot victims. She also performed ‘It’s a Wonderful World’ when Simon asked her to sing something else.
He praised her “fantastic voice”, but joked he was worried she’d hit him with her walking stick.
“I won’t hit you unless you’re a rioter,” Pauline shot back.
The show is due to air in the Spring.