‘Heroine of Hackney’ Pauline Pearce sings for Simon Cowell
‘Heroine of Hackney’ Pauline Pearce, who hit the headlines after she was captured on film berating yobs during the London riots, has turned her attention to an altogether scarier character – she’s attempting to wow Simon Cowell on Britain’s Got Talent.
The 46-year-old grandmother, who lives in Dalston, tried to make it as a jazz singer “years ago”, and is hoping to have another crack at achieving chart success, so she auditioned for the pop mogul on Wednesday (Feb 8) at the HMV Hammersmith Apollo.
Pauline told the Gazette she wasn’t allowed to comment on how she’s getting on in the ITV competition because the production crew want to keep the outcome of her appearance a surprise for viewers.
She said: “I actually auditioned for the show in 2010 but didn’t get very far, and my friend said to me I should try again this year.
“I said no, but she secretly entered me and filled out all the forms on my behalf so I got an audition. I said, ‘you little ratbag!’ but decided to give it a go.
“I didn’t want them to know who I was because I wanted it to be the same as 2010 - when I was anonymous - so if I got through it would be on my singing alone. But someone recognised me at the audition.
“I can’t say anything about it, just that I was a nervous wreck!”
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 5 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 6 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
It has been reported that Pauline and Simon hit it off with some playful banter after she sang ‘The Streets of London’ and dedicated it to the riot victims. She also performed ‘It’s a Wonderful World’ when Simon asked her to sing something else.
He praised her “fantastic voice”, but joked he was worried she’d hit him with her walking stick.
“I won’t hit you unless you’re a rioter,” Pauline shot back.
The show is due to air in the Spring.