Heung-Min Son inspires Spurs to FA Cup victory over Leicester City

Heung-Min Son scored the first goal and set up the second as Tottenham triumphed 2-0 away against Leicester City in their FA Cup third-round replay.

The South Korea international broke the deadlock six minutes before the break with a clinical 20-yard strike and his clever through ball then freed Nacer Chadli as Spurs doubled their advantage in the second half.

The Lilywhites will visit Colchester United - who are battling relegation in League One - in the fourth round, with the tie to be played over the weekend of January 30.

There were eight changes from the Spurs side that had lined up against Sunderland in Saturday’s league fixture, with Eric Dier, Erik Lamela and Christian Eriksen the only three players to start both matches.

Dier moved into the back four to play as a centre-back, while Chadli started up front and Nabil Bentaleb was given his first start since August, playing alongside Tom Carroll in midfield.

Spurs made a nervy start, with Dier’s first pass out of defence being intercepted by Demarai Gray and last man Bentaleb also seeing his ball cut out by Danny Drinkwater - but goalkeeper Michel Vorm came out to avert the danger.

The Lilywhites then began to grow in confidence and dominate the game. Ben Davies played the ball down the line to Son, who pulled it back to Eriksen and the Dane sent a first-time effort across goal.

Most Read

Leicester’s Gokhan Inler got a free kick on target but it was a comfortable catch for Vorm and, at the other end, Erik Lamela headed over from a deep cross by Davies before Spurs took a deserved lead.

Lamela gave the ball to Carroll and the 23-year-old played a first-time pass on to Son, who made a yard of space outside Ben Chilwell on the edge of the box and hammered the ball into the top corner inside the near post.

Leicester box Claudio Ranieri made a half-time substitution, introducing Shinji Okazaki, who had also come on in the original cup tie at White Hart Lane – and promptly scored.

The Foxes went close as Bentaleb got in Dier’s way and headed the ball up in the air just outside Spurs’ box, resulting in a shot from Gray that was palmed away by Vorm – and a sliding Nathan Dyer was unable to get his follow-up on target.

Pochettino also made a change on the hour-mark, introducing Harry Kane, and the striker nearly made an immediate impact as a powerful drive was parried by Kasper Schmeichel.

The Leicester keeper was beaten moments later though as Son played a fine defence-splitting through ball to Chadli, who finished from eight yards.

Kane forced another save from Schmeichel while Eriksen freed Son with a ball over the top, but the goalscorer’s touch was heavy and the chance went begging.

Leicester threatened on a few occasions in the closing stages. Gray fired over and the unmarked Marc Albrighton should have done better when he volleyed straight at Vorm, while the Dutchman had to tip a header from Leaonardo Ulloa over the bar.

However, Tottenham had looked like comfortable winners for a while, and so it proved.

Tottenham: Vorm, Walker, Dier, Wimmer, Davies, Bentaleb, Carroll, Lamela (Kane 60), Eriksen, Chadli (Onomah 73), Son (Alli 84)

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs