Heung-min Son to be assessed ahead of Tottenham Hotspur’s Premier League opener at Newcastle United
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Boss Mauricio Pochettino will expect to have South Korean international available at some point this month
Tottenham Hotspur forward Heung-min Son is working hard to be involved in this weekend’s Premier League opener at Newcastle United, but boss Mauricio Pochettino refused to confirm whether he would be fit for the match at St James’ Park.
The South Korean international has not featured for Spurs in pre-season after breaking his right arm during a World Cup qualifier against Qatar.
But Son returned to training last week and although he didn’t feature against Juventus on Saturday, he has a chance of being fit for Newcastle.
Pochettino said: “He is working hard and he is still recovering from his problem and then we need to assess if he is available to be selected next week.
You may also want to watch:
“He was out of the squad on Saturday because he couldn’t play, but we will see this week how he is and what the doctors say and then we will decide.”
Tottenham will hope to have Son fit with no new reinforcements currently signed up for the new season.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
Spurs continue to be linked with numerous names and Pochettino insists they are trying their best to bring players into the club.
“Why have we not signed anyone yet? Because we are working and I think the market is how we all know and a little bit difficult for a club like us, but we are following our plan,” said the 45-year-old.
“We will try now before the end of the transfer window to make everything happen and for us to get the targets and players we want to bring in here.”
Kieran Trippier suffered an ankle injury on Saturday and left Wembley Stadium on crutches and in a protective boot.
Some suggested it may force Tottenham to dip into the transfer market, but Pochettino insists they were always going to anyway.
The Argentine is adamant Spurs have not changed their philosophy when it comes to new signings since the end of the 2016/17 campaign.
Pochettino said: “I have my idea and when we finished last season I said we will follow a plan and I have not changed in my mind what we need to add to this team.
“We need to find the right player to add to the squad, but it is true now we enter the last few weeks of the transfer window and if we want to strengthen the team and squad then yes we need to sign a few players.”