Heung-min Son: Tottenham Hotspur forward Harry Kane is ‘the best player in the world’
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The South Korean attacker praised his Spurs team-mate this week while on international duty
Heung-min Son has labelled Tottenham Hotspur team-mate Harry Kane ‘the best player in the world’, but hopes he can step up in the injured striker’s absence.
Spurs’ top scorer Kane is not expected to return to training until next month, having sustained ankle-ligament damage in the win over Bournemouth two weeks ago.
Tottenham are chasing a top-four spot in the Premier League, and visit Chelsea this Sunday and have an FA Cup semi-final with Manchester United on April 21.
Without their 35-goal forward, Spurs could utilise Son in a central attacking role and, while he admits he cannot be compared with Kane, the South Korean is ready to take on the extra burden after scoring seven times in his last five Tottenham appearances.
“Harry Kane is, of course, very important for England because he’s the best player in the world,” Son told Sky Sports News HQ.
“This is football, so sometimes you get injuries, but as Tottenham we need to play without Harry.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Call to stop weedkiller use at estate
- 5 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 Illustrations capture a fresh view of Hackney
- 8 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 9 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“It’s very sad but the other players have to be ready. I’m not like Harry, the same type, but I’m just trying to practise every single day. It’s a good opportunity to make something happen.
“I’ve proved a lot of things in Tottenham in two and a half years, I’ve enjoyed it a lot and I’m really happy to be there because they work hard and this is what I want.”
Son’s contract with Spurs expires in 2020 and there has been talk he could be rewarded with a new deal.
Speaking after playing in South Korea’s loss to Northern Ireland at Windsor Park on Saturday, Son insisted he was only focused on the short term.
“We are playing good, we work hard, this is the most important thing,” he added.
“I’ve played nearly three years at Tottenham, I’ve proved a lot of things and I’m just looking forward to (taking it) day by day.”