Hipster burger bar Stokey Bears in late-night booze bid
- Credit: Archant
Hipster burger joint Stokey Bears wants to serve booze until 1am at weekends.
The fast-food restaurant, which this year had its rock-bottom hygiene rating of “zero” upgraded to a “one”, has applied for a late-night alcohol licence.
Bosses want to serve booze until 1am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 11pm on Sundays and midnight throughout the rest of the week. But police want reassurances that it will not cause anti-social behaviour to neighbours whose homes back onto the venue in Stoke Newington High Street.
Stokey Bears was opened by Tom Reaney, who hit the headlines last year for failing to reward hundreds of people who donated thousands of pounds to his fundraiser for a new branch in Old Street.
Tom referred to the “zero” rating as “council banter” earlier this year, and hinted it was set to be upgraded. And it was, but not by much – inspectors said they found mouse droppings in the “bar, seating area and stores” in January and gave it a “one”.
You may also want to watch:
A decision on the booze bid will be made on Tuesday.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Hackney's Liam Dillion aims for vacant English super-featherweight title
- 7 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 8 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 9 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate