Hipster burger bar Stokey Bears in late-night booze bid
- Credit: Archant
Hipster burger joint Stokey Bears wants to serve booze until 1am at weekends.
The fast-food restaurant, which this year had its rock-bottom hygiene rating of “zero” upgraded to a “one”, has applied for a late-night alcohol licence.
Bosses want to serve booze until 1am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, 11pm on Sundays and midnight throughout the rest of the week. But police want reassurances that it will not cause anti-social behaviour to neighbours whose homes back onto the venue in Stoke Newington High Street.
Stokey Bears was opened by Tom Reaney, who hit the headlines last year for failing to reward hundreds of people who donated thousands of pounds to his fundraiser for a new branch in Old Street.
Tom referred to the “zero” rating as “council banter” earlier this year, and hinted it was set to be upgraded. And it was, but not by much – inspectors said they found mouse droppings in the “bar, seating area and stores” in January and gave it a “one”.
You may also want to watch:
A decision on the booze bid will be made on Tuesday.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 7 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs