Historian mocks up incredible images of old Stoke Newington

The Rose & Crown at its original location in Stoke Newington Church Street before it was rebuilt in

The Rose & Crown at its original location in Stoke Newington Church Street before it was rebuilt in the early 1930�s across the street when the junction was widened. - Credit: Archant

Ever wondered about the history of Stoke Newington’s grand old buildings? Well now you can quite literally take a glimpse into the past.

'The Invalid Asylum for the Recovery of the Health of Respectable Women in 1890 at 187 Stoke Newingt

'The Invalid Asylum for the Recovery of the Health of Respectable Women in 1890 at 187 Stoke Newington High Street. - Credit: Archant

Historian Amir Dotan has produced a collection of incredible collages on his computer to illustrate how the streets of Stokey once looked, before buildings were demolished, restored or in some cases, bombed during the Blitz.

Using the wonders of modern technology, Amir’s images show pubs, cinemas, churches, shops and even an invalid asylum, which is now a Thai restaurant.

109 Stoke Newington Church Street, which still stands today.

109 Stoke Newington Church Street, which still stands today. - Credit: Archant

Amir, who posts on Twitter as HistoryOfStokey, told the Gazette: “I’ve always been amazed by just how much Stoke Newington’s streets have changed over the decades as a result of the Blitz and urban development, so I decided to superimpose old photos on today’s view to make that transformation apparent for others to appreciate and learn about.”

Abney Congregational Church stood in Church St opposite the cemetery (built 1869). It was bombed dur

Abney Congregational Church stood in Church St opposite the cemetery (built 1869). It was bombed during the Second World War and r ebuilt in a simpler style years later. - Credit: Archant

Abney House (1700-1843) was a Church Street mansion which stood where the cemetery is today. Its iro

Abney House (1700-1843) was a Church Street mansion which stood where the cemetery is today. Its iron gateway is still there. - Credit: Archant

Astra Cinema (1913-1983) 117 Stoke Newington Road.

Astra Cinema (1913-1983) 117 Stoke Newington Road. - Credit: Archant

Kennaway Hall was a large Church Street mansion in Paradise Row opposite Clissold Park. It was demol

Kennaway Hall was a large Church Street mansion in Paradise Row opposite Clissold Park. It was demolished in 1953. - Credit: Archant

Marks & Spencer, 156 Stoke Newington High St (1914-1972). Archive picture: M&S Company Archive.

Marks & Spencer, 156 Stoke Newington High St (1914-1972). Archive picture: M&S Company Archive. - Credit: Archant

Stoke Newington Road looking north. Wellington Road on the right is no longer there and was demolish

Stoke Newington Road looking north. Wellington Road on the right is no longer there and was demolished to make way for Somerford Grove Estate. - Credit: Archant

The Alexandra Theatre and Opera House, 65 & 67 Stoke Newington Road. Opened in 1897. It was demolish

The Alexandra Theatre and Opera House, 65 & 67 Stoke Newington Road. Opened in 1897. It was demolished in 1959. - Credit: Archant

The Coliseum Cinema (1913-1972) at 31-33 Stoke Newington Road. It was demolished in 2001.

The Coliseum Cinema (1913-1972) at 31-33 Stoke Newington Road. It was demolished in 2001. - Credit: Archant

The Red Lion pub in Church Street. It was rebuilt in the 1924 when Lordship Road was widened.

The Red Lion pub in Church Street. It was rebuilt in the 1924 when Lordship Road was widened. - Credit: Archant

The Three Crowns pub (175 Stoke Newington High Street) in the mid 19th century before it was rebuilt

The Three Crowns pub (175 Stoke Newington High Street) in the mid 19th century before it was rebuilt. - Credit: Archant

The White Hart Hotel, 69 Stoke Newington High Street.

The White Hart Hotel, 69 Stoke Newington High Street. - Credit: Archant

West Hackney Church, Stoke Newington Road at the juncton with Amhurst Road. It was built in 1824, bo

West Hackney Church, Stoke Newington Road at the juncton with Amhurst Road. It was built in 1824, bombed in 1940 and rebuilt in the 1960s. - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter