Homerton firefighters bring the community together for a day of magic and music
- Credit: Andy Maloney
Homerton firefighters are interested in tackling loneliness in the area as well as saving lives.
They opened their station's doors last week to kids, older people, carers and school teachers - bringing the community together for an afternoon of magic and mini pizzas.
Leading firefighter Luke Deslandes grew up in Hackney. He told the Gazette: "This area is close to my heart - it's good to be a part of the community and give back. This is what you come to work for - besides doing operational stuff like going out [and] rescuing people. To meet the people we're reaching out to - that's the most rewarding thing."
Station Commander Andy Maloney manages the 50 staff at the station and asks each watch to put on pro-active events for the community.
"People are always waving and we just thought what a great place to open up to people. To bring the kids in and get old people from local care homes and spend some time with them."said Station Officer John Holtom who helped organise the day.
You may also want to watch:
The firefighters we're grateful to receive contributions of food for the event from businesses in the area. Homerton's Tesco's Express and Sainsubury's contributed snacks like mini pizzas and sausage rolls and Local florist AG Price gave 10 big bunches of flowers for people to take home.
Hackney Community Transport also provided a van and driver for free to take wheelchair bound users and those who might have trouble travelling to the station.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 4 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 5 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 8 Hackney NHS staff celebrated for 'work beyond the call of duty'
- 9 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington