Homerton girl through to Miss Teen Great Britain finals
A Homerton lass who wants to prove to the world that beauty is more than just looks, is through to the finals in a nation-wide beauty pageant.
Leidy Laura Romero, 18, who lives in Overbury Street will represent Greater London in the first Miss Teen Great Britain final this September.
She said: “My dream has always been to compete in a beauty pageant and make a difference in any way I can.
“Girls now get judged based on the way they look. If they are pretty they can’t do certain things because they are too pretty for it and they might not be taken seriously in some situations. I think that wrong because there are girls out there who are pretty and who are very smart.”
Contestants hoping to scoop the prize of �1,000 and a modelling contract have to give a speech at the finals at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Organised by United Kingdom Galaxy Pageants, the contest promotes itself as a positive, confidence building exercise for teenagers.
- 1 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 2 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
- 3 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 4 Mother of son lost to knife crime honoured by the Queen
- 5 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 6 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 7 De Beauvoir to house UK's first East and South-East Asian resource centre
- 8 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 9 UK's 'home of baking' to open third venue in Haggerston
- 10 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment