Homerton girl through to Miss Teen Great Britain finals
A Homerton lass who wants to prove to the world that beauty is more than just looks, is through to the finals in a nation-wide beauty pageant.
Leidy Laura Romero, 18, who lives in Overbury Street will represent Greater London in the first Miss Teen Great Britain final this September.
She said: “My dream has always been to compete in a beauty pageant and make a difference in any way I can.
“Girls now get judged based on the way they look. If they are pretty they can’t do certain things because they are too pretty for it and they might not be taken seriously in some situations. I think that wrong because there are girls out there who are pretty and who are very smart.”
Contestants hoping to scoop the prize of �1,000 and a modelling contract have to give a speech at the finals at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
You may also want to watch:
Organised by United Kingdom Galaxy Pageants, the contest promotes itself as a positive, confidence building exercise for teenagers.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways