Homerton primary school gets through to finals of national cooking competition
- Credit: Archant
A Homerton primary school bit off stiff competition from hundreds of competitors to make the regional finals of a national cooking competition.
Kingsmead Primary School in Kingsmead Way are one of eight regional finalists in a bid to find the country’s most creative, tasty and nutritious sweet or savoury berry recipe.
Pupils at the school created a recipe called Rainbow Jelly over the course of a week by several cookery clubs at the school.
Amanda Smith, who runs the after school cooking clubs for years 3, 4, 5 and 6, said: “Our school is a really diverse one and we wanted our recipe to reflect this. It was great that all the year groups in our cookery clubs participated, each making a layer of the jelly. We had a lot of fun, especially when we all got together to eat it!”
The recipe will now go forward to the national finals on January 15 where judges from Seasonal Berries, The Children’s Food Trust and Asda will cook up the recipes and crown one school the national winner of Ready Berry Cook Challenge 2013.
You may also want to watch:
Laurence Olins, chairman of British Summer Fruits, said: “The quality of entries we’ve received has been superb. It’s been a real challenge choosing finalists from such talented schools, as the huge variety and creativity in submissions, from traditional dishes with a modern twist to innovative new recipes, has been second to none.”
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week