Homerton pub at centre of flats battle listed as ‘community asset’
- Credit: Archant
Residents who have been fighting to save The Chesham Arms, in Mehatabel Road, Homerton from being turned into flats have been awarded a small victory.
Following an application by Churchwell Residents Association (CRA) last December, the pub is the first building in the borough to be listed as a community asset by Hackney Council and will be placed on a local list of non-statutory heritage assets.
This marks the 19th century pub, which was sold to residential developer Ozkan Homes last October, as being of historical significance.
Although the listing does not immediately save the pub as protection only comes into effect when an asset is put up for sale, it does mean the local community can request a delay if it goes up for sale again to put together a bid to buy the property.
CRA member Martyn Williams, of Sutton Place, said: “It shows that Hackney Council is serious about protecting pubs. And they recognise the important social use of this pub. That does make you think they will not look kindly on a planning application to turn it into flats.”
You may also want to watch:
The developer has yet to submit an planning application.
London Assembly Member Jennette Arnold said: “I congratulate my Hackney Council colleagues for recently making the threatened Chesham Arms its first and only asset of community value. It’s actions such as these which will help to save local community pubs.”
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 8 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised