Homerton pub at centre of flats battle listed as ‘community asset’
- Credit: Archant
Residents who have been fighting to save The Chesham Arms, in Mehatabel Road, Homerton from being turned into flats have been awarded a small victory.
Following an application by Churchwell Residents Association (CRA) last December, the pub is the first building in the borough to be listed as a community asset by Hackney Council and will be placed on a local list of non-statutory heritage assets.
This marks the 19th century pub, which was sold to residential developer Ozkan Homes last October, as being of historical significance.
Although the listing does not immediately save the pub as protection only comes into effect when an asset is put up for sale, it does mean the local community can request a delay if it goes up for sale again to put together a bid to buy the property.
CRA member Martyn Williams, of Sutton Place, said: “It shows that Hackney Council is serious about protecting pubs. And they recognise the important social use of this pub. That does make you think they will not look kindly on a planning application to turn it into flats.”
You may also want to watch:
The developer has yet to submit an planning application.
London Assembly Member Jennette Arnold said: “I congratulate my Hackney Council colleagues for recently making the threatened Chesham Arms its first and only asset of community value. It’s actions such as these which will help to save local community pubs.”
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 6 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12