Homerton pub at centre of flats battle listed as ‘community asset’
- Credit: Archant
Residents who have been fighting to save The Chesham Arms, in Mehatabel Road, Homerton from being turned into flats have been awarded a small victory.
Following an application by Churchwell Residents Association (CRA) last December, the pub is the first building in the borough to be listed as a community asset by Hackney Council and will be placed on a local list of non-statutory heritage assets.
This marks the 19th century pub, which was sold to residential developer Ozkan Homes last October, as being of historical significance.
Although the listing does not immediately save the pub as protection only comes into effect when an asset is put up for sale, it does mean the local community can request a delay if it goes up for sale again to put together a bid to buy the property.
CRA member Martyn Williams, of Sutton Place, said: “It shows that Hackney Council is serious about protecting pubs. And they recognise the important social use of this pub. That does make you think they will not look kindly on a planning application to turn it into flats.”
You may also want to watch:
The developer has yet to submit an planning application.
London Assembly Member Jennette Arnold said: “I congratulate my Hackney Council colleagues for recently making the threatened Chesham Arms its first and only asset of community value. It’s actions such as these which will help to save local community pubs.”
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 4 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 5 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers