House fire in Lower Clapton
Firefighters spent an hour tackling a house blaze yesterday (Weds) – then installed a smoke alarm in the property, and in several of the neighbours’ homes, to try to prevent it happening again.
The fire broke out in the two-storey house in Thistlewaite Road, Lower Clapton, and crews from Homerton and Stoke Newington Fire Stations raced to the scene.
Part of the first floor and the roof were engulfed in flames, but three men and two women managed to leave the house before the officers arrived.
Two people were treated for smoke inhalation by ambulance crews.
Homerton’s red watch manager, Rob Stoten, told the Gazette there were no fire alarms in the property, which allowed the blaze to burn undetected for a time.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We recommend people have a smoke alarm on each level of their house and test it once a week. We actually put a smoke alarm into that house afterwards.
“People had come to watch the incident, so we spoke to them and put some free alarms in several other houses in the street as well.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 3 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 7 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
“We took that opportunity to reach out to them because people are very receptive after they’ve seen what can happen.”
The 20 firefighters got the call just after 4pm and had the fire under control by 5.14pm.
The cause of the blaze is still under investigation.
For a free home fire safety visit, or to have a free smoke alarm fitted, make an appointment with the London Fire Brigade on 08000 28 44 28.