'Neglected' families in flats left without power and water for 24 hours
- Credit: Google
Families and children at a Homerton housing block were left without running water and power for about 24-hours earlier this week following a reported water leak.
Tenants in 28 flats at Tan House on Kenworthy Road were affected by the outage with several alleging an ongoing lack of care from their landlord, Network Homes.
Resident Jade Misfud said, despite calls to an emergency number, she was not told when the power and water would be turned back on.
She added: "There's so many issues with this block and this housing association.
"We were trying to contact the out of hours emergency service and they were not answering their phones from about 2pm. I think the first person to answer the phone might have been at 9pm and they just hung up."
You may also want to watch:
Network Homes states that following a reported water leak on Sunday evening (July 4) it had to temporarily turn off the electricity and water supply at Tan House while contractors fixed the issue. Supplies were restored the next afternoon (July 5).
A spokesperson for the Network Homes said: "We provided residents with bottled water and kept them regularly informed via text message. We have apologised to residents for the disruption."
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
Still, Jade believes they could have handled the situation better by communicating more and offering food as well as water to residents, especially those with electric cookers.
She said: "Network Homes were so nonchalant about it. They said: 'There is nothing we can do about food, we can give you water.'
"But water is not going to feed my kids.'"
Another resident and domestic abuse survivor, who preferred not to be named, said concerns about broken buzzers and security doors at the block have also been ignored for two years.
The person added: "They don't really care."
Network Homes however, denied the claim and said it carries out regular inspections and is not aware of any issues with the doors.
The tenant also spoke about an incident in December 2019 where residents were left outside for about six hours, unable to contact network homes because it was "out of hours".
But Network Homes stated that the building was evacuated when a low level of carbon monoxide was detected in the communal areas of the building. There was found to be no risk to residents