Hoxton Hall restored to former Victorian glory
- Credit: Archant
One of Britain’s few surviving music halls in desperate need of repair has been restored to its former glory in a major £2.5million restoration project.
Hoxton Hall in Hoxton Street has been transformed into a unique performance and events space for the local community thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund revamp.
Work on the Victorian Grade II* listed music hall uncovered the building’s rich history and many features were restored to the way they were in the 19th century, including the balcony railings, ironwork and floorboards.
Other work included opening up the top balcony for the first time in 45 years, increasing capacity by over 200 per cent, refurbishing the entrance area, soundproofing the basement music room, and installing improved mechanical and electrical services.
Hayley White, former group director at Hoxton Hall said: “Hoxton Hall was in desperate need of repair. Many of the services and electrics were well past their useable lifespan and about to expire, and the building at high risk of falling into disrepair and even disuse.
You may also want to watch:
“With the support of many funders and a lot of hard work the project has done much more than repair the music hall and adjoining rooms.
!We have modernised, conserved, preserved, restored and made it more accessible, all while keeping true to the history of the Music Hall.
- 1 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 2 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 3 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 4 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 5 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 8 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 9 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
- 10 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
“Hoxton Hall is a unique and very special building, and we look forward to welcoming many Londoners through the doors in the coming months and indeed years.”
While the 11-month project, designed by Foster Wilson Architects, was being completed by Contractor Fairhurst Ward Abbotts, Hoxton Hall remained open as a Young Hackney youth club hub.