Hoxton Market reshuffle hopes to boost footfall
- Credit: Archant
Long-standing Hoxton Market traders have been told their stalls will be moved closer together as the council tries to increase footfall.
There are 150 available pitches on the market, which runs from Nuttall Street to Crondall Street, but on a Saturdays an average of 40 are used.
Town hall market chiefs have told the 19 permanent stallholders that is “not effective or productive” and they will be shrinking the moving to the middle of the stretch between Stanway Street and Homefield Street.
A letter sent to each trader said: “We average 40 traders every Saturday so we have 110 spare pitches and customers have a rather long walk from start to finish which results in a loss of trade for many traders.
“We are writing to our 19 permanent traders to advise you that we will be relocating you into a smaller layout which may mean you are moved from your usual area.
You may also want to watch:
“I understand that traders will be alarmed by this and concerned that their business may suffer as a result but I want to assure you that we will take every precaution to ensure that this is not the case.
The measures are set to come in at the start of December, the letter said.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home