Hoxton salon wins east London hair and beauty award
- Credit: AvidaStudios
Hoxton market’s Studio Phase Hair and Beauty Salon was named best Hair and Beauty Salon of the Year in East London last month.
Head stylist Vee has owned and managed the specialist hair and beauty salon for more than 10 years.
As a little girl growing up in Kingston, Jamaica, she always had a passion for hairstyling and dreamed of one day owning her own salon.
She told the Gazette: "I used to sit underneath my mango tree doing my friends' hair. In class, the teachers would be upset with me as every opportunity I got I was accomplishing my vision of hairdressing."
She was surprised to win. "We don't even know who nominated us, I got a phone call that we were a finalist which I thought was a prank but when it was announced we'd won, we were honestly shocked," Vee said.
You may also want to watch:
Hundreds of hair and beauty professionals gathered at the London hair and beauty awards on October 27.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school