Hoxton soup kitchen to give away 100,000 tea bags
- Credit: Polly Hancock
A Hoxton soup kitchen is giving away 100,000 tea bags to help raise awareness and funds to keep it running.
The tea bag give-away is taking place outside Humdingers soup kitchen at 236 Hoxton Street, from about 7am to 7.30pm.
A spokesperson from the soup Kitchen told the Gazette: "[The soup kitchen] is amazing but its quite eye-opening to realise how many people need the support."
The initiative was set up by chef Robert Hunningher during the pandemic.
The father-of-two has used the profits from his catering company and Humdingers bakery and pizzeria to keep the service running and it now feeds about 1000 people a week.
Homemade soup and freshly baked bread is served at the soup kitchen from 5-7pm, every weekday except Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
The kitchen has plans to expand its service by moving to a site in Hornsey.
To support the expansion visit www.gofundme.com/f/humdingers-soup-kitchen-expansion
Learn more at www.humdingers.org.uk/soup-kitchen
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 8 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 9 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 10 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London